Passenger processes perfected – with Momentum®
Vilnius Airport (VNO) is by far the largest airport in Lithuania. More than 6.5 million passengers departed from here to their destinations in 2019 – mainly to the United Kingdom, Germany and Scandinavia. The Corona pandemic interrupted this trend for a short time, but the state-owned operator Lithuanian Airports recorded a recovery as early as 2022 and expects passenger numbers to continue to rise.
To ensure that all these travellers get to their aircraft quickly and comfortably in the future, Lithuanian Airports has put out to tender a new passenger processing system. When entering the security area, the automated check of boarding passes should achieve the following objectives:
- increased passenger throughput
- the systems grant a better movement of the passengers
- Increased passengers security and monitoring
- improved passenger experience at the airport
The operating company quickly decided on Magnetic's mPass pre-security gates. The new Momentum® Series convinced the project managers with its high flexibility and consistent orientation towards the requirements of airports:
- intuitive user guidance with light elements and the display
- fast validation boarding pass process shortening the passengers’ waiting time
- Intuitive configuration and parametrization set up through the gate controller or the GUI
A total of 4 mPass have been installed at the entrance of the security area, 3 of them in standard and one in wide-lane configuration for PRMs. 6 months after the first installation, the gates have been retrofitted with a gantry system. The gantry currently accommodates a screen to display airport related info.
In this specific location, due to the limited space available, it was only possible to install 4 lanes but thanks the user-friendly set up and intuitiveness of the gate design of Momentum® mPass gates it is easy to clear the current high passenger throughput.
The Lithuanian Airport company has conveyed its complete satisfaction with the solution delivered by Magnetic and the local partner NT Services. The airport has confirmed the expansion to other areas at Vilnius Airport, and expansion to the airports in Kaunas and Palanga is already being considered – because passenger processes can be perfected so easily with Momentum®!
- Customer: Lithuanian Airports, Vilnius, Lithuania
- Installed products: 4 lanes with mPass, 3 of them in standard and one in wide lane configuration, equipped with boarding pass reader, gantry and staff access control system
- Realisation: 2021
- Local Installation partner: NT SERVICE, Kaunas, Lithuania